Tours Run Every Night at Sunset
Low Head Penguin Tours offers a unique nature experience to get up close and personal with Little Blue Penguins as they return from the pristine waters of Bass Strait to nest in their burrows.
The tour is fully guided and takes between 1 and 1.5 hours
What to Expect
- Arrive at the Coastal Reserve, Low Head
- The pristine beach faces Bass Strait, the sea to the north of Tasmania
- One of highly trained and friendly guides will meet you
- A gentle three minute walk to the viewing platform overlooking the beach
- After a short wait the Littler Blue Penguins or Fairy Penguins as they in some areas will begin to swim to the surface, stand up and preen and waddle up the beach
- The very cute penguins, standing just 30cm high return to their burrows which are carefully set-out by the penguins in the Box Thorn bush which lines the Coastal Reserve
- The number of penguins you will see will vary depending upon the season. Between November and February 100 to 200 penguins will come ashore each night. Between March and October 10 to 100 penguins
What You Need
Photography: You can bring a camera to capture your experience, however to protect the penguins flash photography is not allowed.
Warm Clothing: Come dressed in warm clothing and covered in footwear.
We run tours
on Christmas Day and Boxing Day.
0418 361 860
Fax: (03) 6382 2310